PDO Thread Lift Specialist Q&A
The cosmetic specialists at Prestige Med Spa and Wellness Center in Charlotte, NC offer PDO thread lifts, so you can achieve a younger, rejuvenated complexion that can last for years. For more information, call us or schedule an appointment online.
Table of Contents:
PDO Thread Lift is a facial tightening and lifting procedure that uses small amounts of PDO (polydioxanone) threads to lift, tighten, and improve the appearance of the skin in the face and neck area. The procedure can dramatically enhance a person’s aesthetics and comes with minimal risks and side effects compared to surgical facelifts. Most patients can return to their normal activities the same day; the results are almost immediate and can last for years.
A PDO thread is a type of suture that is made of polydioxanone, which has a long duration of absorbability and high tensile strength; it is also biodegradable, making it the perfect material to tighten and lift the skin. The threads are tightened in the subdermal layer, creating a lifting effect; the threads dissolve in the body over an extended period, typically around six months.
The three types of PDO threads include:
• Non-Absorbable: The first type of PDO thread is non-absorbable, meaning that it does not get absorbed by the body. Since these threads are not able to be broken down and absorbed by the body, they are typically removed after a few days. Because of its strength and durability, this type of PDO threading is usually more expensive than the other options.
• Absorbable: Suitable for people who desire shorter-term results, absorbable PDO threads will naturally break down in the body after several months. The sutures are made from polyglycolic acid, which means they can be readily absorbed by the body in about three to six months.
• Biodegradable: A combination of both non-absorbable and absorbable PDO threads, a portion of this type of thread, the polydioxanone, will remain even after six months to help hold the skin in place while it tightens. This material is biodegradable as it is made from polyglycolic acid and poly-L lactic acid.
Due to the number of different threads and variety in the thickness, tensility, and length, there are other ways to describe PDO threads. Another common categorization of PDO threads is barbed and non-barbed, which can impact their shape and structure.
Before a PDO thread lift, it is important to know the proper preparatory steps to mitigate adverse events and maximize results. At least five days before the procedure, patients are strongly recommended to avoid alcohol and tobacco, along with anything else that may increase the risk of bleeding or bruising, such as ibuprofen (Advil), aspirin, omega-3 fatty acids, green tea, or green tea extracts. On the day of the procedure, the performing doctor will inform the patient of any potential complications including those specific to their unique situation and provide advice about the recovery period and what can be done to expedite the process.
The number of PDO thread lift treatments needed to achieve the desired results varies from person to person and depends on a variety of factors unique to each patient, including:
• Desired outcomes
• The condition being treated
• The severity of the condition being treated
• Individual physiology and metabolism
• How the patient responds to the treatment
• The duration of results
Although everyone experiences different outcomes, most people achieve the greatest benefit from one to three PDO thread lift treatments. How often one should schedule a follow-up appointment also varies, and largely depends on how long the initial results last. In most cases, results from the first treatment lasts around 6 to 12 months, although people with younger, healthier skin often reap the benefits for much longer.
Yes, PDO threads build collagen; it is one of the most crucial elements of a PDO thread lift. The threads cause micro-damage to the tissues of the skin, triggering a process known as neocollagenesis, which is the production of new collagen in the area.
Call us today to book an appointment with our PDO thread lift specialist, or visit our clinic conveniently located at 9112 South Tryon Suite 9124-J, Charlotte, NC 28273. We look forward to serving you! We serve patients from Charlotte NC, Eastway NC, Pineville NC, Wildwoods NC, Harrisburg NC, and Myers Park NC.
PDO Threads Before & After
Additional Prestige Med Spa Services
▸ Dermal Fillers
▸ IPL Photofacial Therapy
▸ Laser Hair Reduction
▸ Skin Care Treatments
▸ Lasr Skin Resurfacing
▸ Venus Legacy Body Contouring
▸ Red Light Therapy
▸ Vaginal Rejuvenation
▸ Bioidentical Hormone Replacement
▸ Medical Weight Loss
▸ Massage Therapy